Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2019

My Favorite New York Times Columnist Tells Us -- In Detail -- Why Trump Is Beyond The Pale

President Trump met with President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine in New York on Wednesday, two months after they spoke by phone.Doug Mills/The New York Times
Author Headshot
Opinion Columnist
On Fox News, Tucker Carlson agreed with a guest that President Trump’s conduct is all “acceptable political behavior.” House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy says that this is all about Democrats “undoing the 2016 election.” No: That’s part of a tornado of obfuscation, falsity and distraction, so I’ve devoted my column to laying out why Trump’s behavior is beyond the pale.
Here are some excerpts of Trump’s hints to Ukraine’s leader in his phone call: “I would like to have the attorney general call you … It’s very important that you do it. … I will ask him [Giuliani] to call you along with the attorney general. … If you could speak to him, that would be great. … If you can look into it [the Biden matter] … it sounds horrible to me. … I will have Mr. Giuliani give you a call and I am also going to have Attorney General Barr call. … I’m sure you will figure it out. … Your economy is going to get better and better, I predict. … I will tell Rudy and Attorney General Barr to call. … Whenever you would like to come to the White House, feel free to call.”
That’s how gangsters send messages. You do what I want, and you’ll get benefits; you defy me, and you’ll suffer. Trump tried to use America’s federal power to coerce a foreign leader into engaging in a criminal investigation of an American citizen for his own political benefit. The point of my column is that whether or not you think that is impeachable, we should be able to agree that it is unconscionable. Please read!


No comments:

Post a Comment