Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Nick Hanauer, "Sanity Chocolate" and "How Wealth Rules The World"

image.png  
"The Rich Aren't Just Grabbing A Bigger Slice Of The Income Pie. 
They're Taking It All"

"Plutocracy Triumphant"
Cartoon Compendium

Nick Hanauer Quotes

image.png

Dear Rob,

I am sitting in my Oaxaca apartment savoring "Sanity Chocolate" and reading "How Wealth Rules The World" - the only book I brought with me to Mexico.

Thanks for bestowing these splendid gifts upon me.

I am often struck by how easily we overlook the obvious.

Of course, I knew that the United States Constitution was written by slave-holding white men who were (at least) complicitly allied with the murderously thieving project of westward expansion.

But it never occurred to me that when they launched The Preamble with the words "We The People," they were specifically defining "people" as marauding, slave-holding, white thieves.

Women, blacks and Indians were not included in their conception of "people." 

Nowadays, this exclusiveness is so bizarre that we tend to assume it could not possibly be what they meant. 

However, given their oligarchic circumstances -- and the time in which they lived -- they could not have conceived anything else. 

If you have bir seen the Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro movie "The Mission," I encourage you to check it out. 

"The Mission" deals with the Spanish conquest of The New World and a central pillar of the movie is the philosophical-theological discussion of whether Native Americans were human beings, or simply animals who SHOULD be used -- in keeping with their nature -- as beasts of burden.

Relatedly...

In recent years I have become a big fan of Nick Hanauer and -- swayed by the book you kindly gifted me for Christmas - I spent an hour this morning developing a post about Hanauer's work, and how "the  pitchforks are coming."

image.png

Just How Stupid Are We? Gazillionaire Nick Hanauer Brings You Up To Speed On "Capitalism's Dirty Little Secret" (TED Talk)


image.png
Nixon's Guaranteed Minimum Income Proposal
(lost by one vote in the House)
  
If you did not receive a text message from me today, please let me know. I have texted you many times in the past but when I texted you this morning, I did not see any pre-existing "text thread" accompanying the cell phone number I used.

Muchos saludos a Cristina y al Chamaco Maravilloso!

Pax et amore


Alan 


No comments:

Post a Comment