Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Please Support Daughter Maria's "Rising Leaders" Program At Grand Canyon Trust

Avatar
Daughter Maria manages Grand Canyon Trust's "Rising Leaders Program."

Rising leaders are young adults chosen chiefly from Native American communities in Arizona, Utah and Nevada.

Here is Charity Navigator's assessment of Grand Canyon Trust
https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=5749 

Hi family and friends! 

I hope you are all doing well! It has been great catching up with some of you recently, and I hope to chat with the rest of you soon now that my busy work season is winding down and I'm beginning to find myself within phone service a bit more often. 

I am reaching out with an update on some of my recent work, and to ask if you might be interested in offering your support from afar.

About 4 years ago, I became involved with a Colorado Plateau climate justice movement called Uplift. Uplift is a by-youth for-youth network that connects, trains, and mobilizes young people (approximately ages 18-30) to take action for climate justice. We host an annual climate justice conference for ~200 regional youth, coordinate mass trainings across the region, organize nonviolent direct actions around key political moments, and train rising leaders with the skills and tools to organize for environmental and social change in their communities.

Uplift has been a transformative influence in my life - the first Uplift conference I attended was in 2016, and it drastically restructured the way that I approach climate and social justice work. It humbled me, taught me to listen more deeply and to prioritize the voices of young Indigenous people and people of color from communities that are facing disproportionate impacts of climate change, and helped me to form deep relationships with other young people from all across the region with whom I still work and organize often. Uplift has been the most important educational influence in my young adult life, and I have watched it transform the lives of many other people who find their passions, connect with young activists from across the region, and learn the tools to take action for climate justice. 

Uplift is currently in an exciting period of structural and financial transition. Since the fall of 2014, we have been a program of the Grand Canyon Trust and Northern Arizona University's Landscape Conservation Initiative. In early 2019, we decided it was time for Uplift to grow into its full potential and become the Colorado Plateau’s primary youth-led climate justice organization

In order to achieve this goal, we need to raise a lot of money. A generous donor has offered to match every dollar up to $10,000 donated before November 22. I'm reaching out to ask if any of you might be interested/able to donate to our grassroots fundraising campaign. Every single dollar is so important to us, and we are grateful for absolutely any amount - if you choose to give before November 22 your donation will be doubled! If you don't currently have the resources or ability to donate, a share on your social media or via email is just as valuable and the whole Uplift team would be so appreciative of your support! 

Please let me know if you'd like any more information, or if you just want to chat about Uplift ! I would be more than happy to (and would love to just catch up with you all anyways). 

You can donate here (and/or share this page): https://upliftclimate.wedid.it/campaigns/6812

You can learn more about Uplift here: https://upliftclimate.org/

Thanks a million! And please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Love,

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment