Pages

Friday, November 8, 2019

Curious "Six Degrees Of Separation" Story About My Hometown, Irondequoit, New York

Image result for irondequoit bay"
Irondequoit Bay With Lake Ontario In The Distance

Greetings,

Below I am pasting a surprising correspondence with Mary Rider (Patrick O'Neill's wife - and mother of eight) who learned of my Irondequoit origin in this recent blog post. 
I grew up in Seneca country, in a town with a Seneca name.
Irondequoit means "Land Between Two Waters" and refers to 9 mile long Irondequoit Bay and Lake Ontario.
I spent summertime on the shore of Honeoye Lake - from the Seneca phrase meaning "Finger Lying."
My Honeoye cottage (built by my maternal grandfather, Julius Joseph Noll and his son Tom) was less than 300 yards from a Seneca burial ground excavated by the University of Rochester Archaeology Deparment in 1955 when I was 8 years old.


PBS.ORG

Much has been said about the inspiration of the ancient Iroquois “Great League of Peace” in planting the seeds that led to the formation of the United States of America and its representative democracy.
Hi Allen! I never knew you grew up in Irondequoit! My grew up there too. Her family was full of dairy farmers, Fruit tree farmers, Christmas tree farmers...
Her parents built their house in the early part of the 1900s on land given to them by their family. 199 Stonehenge Rd was the first house on the street/in the neighborhood!
We lived with my grandparents when I was in kindergarten and 1at grade at Laurelton Elementary School, where my mother had taught previous to getting married.
My grandmother, Edna Bauman, was the first ever graduate of Nazareth College. She and my grandfather, Elmer Costich, were teachers and owned a toy store in downtown Rochester called Toy Town.
Cousins owned (and still do) Wambach’s Produce market. Soccer star Abby Wambach is my 2nd cousin.

Alan

What a pleasant surprise. My Dad was a farm boy in Rush, New York, and an avid gardner and home orchardist the rest of his life at 81 Glenmont Drive, the street that faces you when you exit St. Thomas the Apostle parking lot on the east side. I know the name "Laurelton Elementary School" and think my pony league baseball team used to play there. My sister Janet -- the oldest of five siblings, and the only girl -- is a Nazareth College graduate. My sister taught her whole long career at Lincoln School #22, at the corner of Joseph Avenue and Zimbrich Street. Lincoln School was the poorest school in Rochester as measured by percentage of kids who get free lunch. My Mom graduated Nazareth High School just a few blocks from Aquinas Institute where I graduated. My family always shopped at Wambach's.
Alan

As soon as I sent my last message, I saw the following article about Wegman's imminent arrival in Chapel Hill. Wegman's -- https://chapelboro.com/town-square/viewpoints-on-wegmans-from-chapel-hill-mayor-pam-hemminger The first Triangle branch of Wegman's opened down your way in late September. This exemplary supermarket was founded -- and is still managed -- by members of the Wegman's family who, for generations, attended my High School,, Aquinas Institute, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquinas_Institute To this day, the Wegmans remain very generous beneficiaries of my alma mater.
Seen by Mary Rider at 11:05 PM











No comments:

Post a Comment