Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Oaxaca Christmas Stories

Image result for santa claus 19th century
Alan: Here in Oaxaca people who attend Túnel del Tiempo concerts routinely see me as Santa Claus.

And so, at some point in every show I sing jingle bells and dance a little jig.

I also have two Santa Claus stories to tell.

One story is that a few days before Christmas I was in the Costco in North Durham and first a 60-year-old man, and - half an hour later - a 50-year-old woman sidled up to me and started walking alongside.

Both times I couldn’t figure out what was going on.

Each in their own way started telling me That they have a number of problems this last year and they didn’t always rise to the occasion.

Nevertheless they both hoped I would see fit to leave presents under the trees.

What are the chances this would happen once?

But twice!

The other story took place the only Christmas I ever spent away from my family.

I was in a remote mountain village where the whole community was gathered around a huge outdoor fire on Christmas Eve.

As is true in many rural Latin American places, the town had purchased small gifts to be distributed to the children.

Slowly, I became aware that Little groups of kids were murmuring among themselves.

Then I saw some of the children pointing at me.

It turns out they thought I was Santa Claus and had come in to deliver their presents personally.



Making Music With "My" Oaxaca Band Túnel del Tiempo:

No comments:

Post a Comment