Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Few Reflections On My Time In Oaxaca


The "time" is always now.

In their bones, latinos understand their purpose is to celebrate life.

Gringos understand their purpose as unrelenting labor. 

Whereas blacks understand that white guys can't jump, latinos understand that güeros can't dance.

Here is what I see in the "indoor" and "outdoor" landscapes "south of the border" and in "el norte."

"Indoors," Americans have replaced the crucifix with the clock.

Outdoors, Americans have replaced church towers with chimneys.

We are hyper-productive at the expense of living and mythic depth.

"Which Treadmill Is Right For You?"
(An actual Consumer Reports' cover story. When I first saw it, I thought it an Onion parody.)

A "new study" reveals that the chief purpose of treadmills 
- after the first two weeks of ownership - 
is to occupy garage space.

Get a dog.

Walk two miles a day.

Meet people as you go.

Remember: More important than the act of eating is finding a boon companion to eat with.


Image result for golden retriever

N.B. There will be more Golden Retrievers in heaven than people.

Image result for dali clock

William James, The Pursuit Of Happiness And The Perennial Philosophy
http://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/william-james/

"What's Wrong With The Perennial Philosophy"

http://philosophyforlife.org/exploring-the-multiverse-of-spiritual-pluralism/
    • I sometimes ask myself how did it come that I was the one to develop the theory of relativity. The reason, I think, is that a normal adult never stops to think about problems of space and time. But my intellectual development was retarded, as a result of which I began to wonder about space and time only when I had already grown up. Naturally, I could go deeper into the problem than a child with normal abilities.
      • Variant translation which appears in Einstein: The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark (1971).

  • You see, when a blind beetle crawls over the surface of a globe he doesn't notice that the track he has covered is curved. I was lucky enough to have spotted it.
    • Attributed to Einstein in Carl Seelig's Albert Einstein: A Documentary Biography (1956),. Said to have been a comment he made to his son Eduard when Eduard asked him, at age 9, "Why are you actually so famous, papa?"

Albert Einstein
Wikiquote



No comments:

Post a Comment