Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

"The Penalty Of Success Is..."

"The penalty of success is to be bored by people who used to snub you."
Viscountess Nancy Astor

***

Thomas Merton was once asked to write a chapter for a book entitled  "Secrets of Success."  He replied:  "If it so happened that I had once written a best-seller, this was a pure accident, due to inattention and naivete, and I would take very good care never to do the same again.  If I had a message for my contemporaries, I said, it was surely this:  Be  anything you like, be madmen, drunks, and bastards of every shape and form, but at all costs avoid one thing:  success." 

***
The moral flabbiness born of the exclusive worship of the bitch-goddess Success. That - with the squalid cash interpretation put on the word "success" - is our national disease. William James

No comments:

Post a Comment