Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pissed Off Southern Pastor's Epic Rant About Bible-Banging Gun Evangelists


Screen_Shot_2015-11-10_at_8.46.38_AM.png"Bad Religion: A Compendium"

When Melanie Tubbs wrote a blog entry on LiberalAmerica.org last month on being a proud member of the Christian Left, she expected some blowback, but frankly, she probably didn’t expect that many people to even see the piece. But it went viral.
I am a southern pastor and an educated professor who lives in rural Arkansas amidst folks who own guns and vote Republican. I hold college degrees, I preach in two churches, and I teach history in a respected four year college. I am not stupid. But I am not allowed to put political signs in my yard or stickers on my car because it will offend my students and my congregants if they know how I truly believe, even though my gun toting friends can post all the memes promoting ignorance and violence they want, without fear. So instead, I will write an article and tell the whole damn world the truth:
She went on to explain her opinions on things like gay marriage (which she supports):
Traditional marriage in the Bible is polygamous. Get a Bible and read it before you try to use it to support your hatred and intolerance.
Her feelings on hate mongering from supposed Christians and the Confederate Flag:
The confederate flag is racist. It was flown by treasonous terrorists who fired on their own country and supported the enslavement of human beings. They lost that war and it is time to move on. If you want to show your southern pride, fly an American flag and be the true patriot you claim to be. Eat some biscuits and gravy and visit your dear old grandma. Go put flowers on the grave of your grandpa who probably fought for your right to grow up privileged. And show some appreciation for the great country you live in.
Refreshing? Yes. Let’s out a little steam from the old anger pot? Definitely. The piece went viral and Ms. Tubbs decided to follow it up with some more clarification for people who try to conflate statements in order to dismiss them. She explains that she is a Methodist and that she does not mix her politics into her pulpit oration but that she is also a writer, where she can write about politics. Some more explanation for people who were having a hard time discerning between fact and fiction. 
I did not say, nor do I think, that all Republicans are stupid. I spoke of the current Republican candidates, and I cannot in any way find Christian values within their words or their actions. They put themselves in a public position to be judged, just as I do when I publish these articles. I have a right to form and state opinions about them.
[...]
I have in fact been called in to speak with my District Superintendent after he read my article. I have no indication that I will be punished; my assumption is that he is concerned about me because I was so angry. I will keep you posted…
8.  I was angry. Very angry. I woke up Saturday morning with a Facebook feed full of pro-gun propaganda, using the latest mass shooting as a jumping off point to further spread NRA agenda. Many of the things I saw were posted by Methodists, and even some in positions of authority. My heart broke as I scrolled through each meme and post, and it dawned on me that if I posted my true feelings, I would come under fire for them. And the more I thought about it, the madder I got.
I would tell Melanie Tubbs that we support her, but in all honesty, I’m glad she’s supporting us.


You can see the original blog entry at LiberalAmerica.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment