Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

To "Open Carry" In Church Now Has Its Own Name: To "Church Carry"

Question of the Day: Do You Church Carry?

I am blessed to live in a state where carrying a gun in a church is not verboten.  However, I don’t think any of us are blessed to live in a society where the sight of a gun doesn’t bring at least a tinge of nervousness or, in many unfortunate cases, sheer panic. I attend church on a regular basis. I carry a gun on a regular basis. But I had not, until recently, carried a gun regularly to church. Even in my red, gun-friendly state, the topic of guns in church is about as comfortable as carrying a ma-deuce in a shoulder rig . . .
However, I eventually learned that our pastor owns guns, hunts with guns, and enjoys talking about guns. So do many of our elders. The pastor and I had several conversations about carrying and finally I up and asked him, “What are your thoughts on my carrying a gun to church?” I was delighted with his response.  He said, “I can tell you with great confidence, that on any given Sunday, there are no less than three handguns in the congregation.”  Well, now he has four.
However, there are still dilemmas for those who bring a heat when they worship. Are you prepared to deal with the possibility of being discovered? Do you carry in the nursery?  What if you bend over to pick up a pukey toddler and you print? Have you thought about the consequences of being “caught with a gun around kids?”  The horror! Church clothes are often make it more difficult to conceal a full size pistol on your hip. Are you prepared to be one hip-hug away from the public knowing that you brought an instrument of death to the holy house of God?

Alan: Many American "conservatives" are as Christian as ISIS is Islamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment