Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

"Confessions Of An ISIS Spy." "One Day I Looked In The Mirror And Somebody Was In My Head"

Confessions of an ISIS spy,” by Michael Weiss: “’All my life, OK, I’m Muslim, but I’m not into sharia or very religious,’ Abu Khaled said. ‘One day, I looked in the mirror at my face. I had a long beard. I didn’t recognize myself. It was like Pink Floyd. ‘There’s somebody in my head but it’s not me.’… Like many of his compatriots, he’d spent a large part of a war that has gone on for half a decade based in southern Turkey. He joined ISIS on Oct. 19, 2014, he said, about a month after the U.S.-led coalition’s Operation Inherent Resolve expanded its aerial bombardment campaign to Raqqa, the eastern province where ISIS keeps its ‘capital.’… ‘I went there practically as an adventure,’ he said. “I wanted to see what kind of people were there. Honestly, I don’t regret it. I wanted to know them. Now they are my enemy—and I know them very well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment