Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mo'ne Davis Asks Bloomsburg University To Reinstate Baeball Player Who Insulted Her

Mo´ne Davis pitches to a Nevada batter during the United States division game at the Little League World Series tournament at Lamade Stadium on August 20, 2014 in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)
Mo'ne Davis pitches to a Nevada batter during the United States division game at the Little League World Series tournament at Lamade Stadium on August 20, 2014 in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. 



After Bloomsburg University baseball player Joey Casselberry was released from the team following an offensive tweet in which he called 13-year-old Mo’ne Davis a “slut,” Davis reached out to the university and asked for Casselberry to be reinstated.

Davis, the Little League World Series star, emailed university President David L. Soltz Sunday evening and asked the school to reconsider Casselberry’s dismissal. 

”While I admit I was pretty hurt when I read his comments, I felt sad that he was dismissed from the team…,” the Philadelphia pitcher wrote. “I am sure Joey Casselberry has worked very hard to get where he is and dreams of playing in the major leagues. For this reason, I'm asking you to please allow him back on the team so that he can continue to chase his dream. He made one dumb mistake. I'm sure he would go back and change it if he could.”

"Everyone makes mistakes," Davis echoed Monday on SportsCenter where she was being interviewed about her new book, "Mo'ne Davis: Remember My Name."


Video: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Mone-Davis-asks-Bloomsburg-to-reinstate-player-who-insulted-her.html


Ex-Montco star booted for vulgar Mo'ne tweet

"I know he didn't mean it in that type of way," she continued. "I know people get tired of seeing me on TV. But sometimes you got to think about what you're doing before you do it."
On Friday night, Casselberry posted a tweet saying, “Disney is making a movie about Mo’ne Davis ? WHAT A JOKE. That slut got rocked by Nevada.” The tweet was made in reaction to the news that Disney Channel will be making a movie about Davis.

By Saturday night, the former Bloomsburg player’s Twitter account was deactivated, though his offensive tweet was captured via screenshot and circulated, sparking anger and shock. Bloomsburg University announced the first baseman’s release via Twitter saying it was “deeply saddened” by Casselberry’s tweet and that “his words do not represent Bloomsburg University.”

Before his Twitter was deactivated, Casselberry tweeted a two-tweet apology saying, “An example that one stupid tweet can ruin someone’s life and I couldn’t be more sorry about my actions last night. I please ask you to…. Forgive me and truly understand that I am in no way shape or form a sexist and I am a huge fan of Mo’ne. She was quite an inspiration.”

TMZ reports that though Bloomsburg has said they respect Davis’ opinion “and praise her for being incredibly mature about the situation,” the school is “standing firm” in their dismissal of Casselberry.


No comments:

Post a Comment