Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Last Minute Vote Decided An Orange County Election


In the mid-1990s, friend Richard Simpson ran for School Board in Orange County, North Carolina.

Minutes before the polls closed, Richard phoned to ask if I had voted.

Oh my God! 

For the first time in my life, I had forgotten to cast my ballot!

Dropping everything, I ran out the door and sprinted three blocks to the polling place.

Dashing across the parking lot -- my destination now in view -- I saw an election official inside the building, walking toward the glass entranceway, key in hand, ready to "lock up."

The clock was "in his favor," but spotting me 30 yards off he granted last minute reprieve.

The next day, "Orange County News" headlined: "Richard Simpson Wins Board Of Election Seat By One Vote."




No comments:

Post a Comment