Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

Punctuation Saves Lives

A friend's Mom typed the final English language copy of the Treaty of San Francisco (サンフランシスコ講和条約 San-Furansisuko kōwa-Jōyaku), also known as the Peace Treaty with Japan (日本国との平和条約 Nihon-koku tono Heiwa-Jōyaku). She noticed that by leaving out a comma the terms of the treaty would be much more favorable for the United States. 


Behold the sentence, "I did not kill that man."


Is it possible for the meaning of a simple declaration to be any clearer?

Who could possibly mistake its meaning?

Now, repeat as follows:


1.) "I did not kill that man."


2.) "I did not kill that man."


3.) "I did not kill that man."


4.) "I did not kill that man."


5.) "I did not kill that man."


A simple six word sentence has five radically different meanings depending on intonation alone.

Nor was there any punctuation in the early Greek testamental texts. 

Just one massive run-on sentence.

Any pretense that we can understand words "literally" is demonstrably absurd.

The preceding passage is excerpted from: 
"Biblical Literalism And The Cultivation Of Hatred" 



No comments:

Post a Comment