Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Woman Focuses The Quandary Of The Supreme Court's Pending Case Over Homophobic Baker

Image result for homophobic christian baker
I am really torn over this. My absolute overriding feeling is that this discrimination is vile and ugly and should be illegal/punishable in harsh ways that sent a message to the rest of the country.

The Devil's advocate in me is thinking of the reverse thought, though, which concerns me... I'm work in creative fields, and, the idea of being legally obligated to create for someone whose views I fully oppose is loathsome.

If I were a baker, and someone wanted a cake for their extreme-right Christian group - say, they were having a huge celebration because their group had successfully managed to shut down Planned Parenthood - I'd really really want to be able to refuse to sell to them.

Or, for example, I would want to refuse to write "Send 'em back where they came from!" or even sell them a cake without words, if I knew it was going to be used to celebrate values I despised.

It seems like this law could have backlash in the other direction, so I don't know what to think.

Alan: If an American "business person" chooses to "go public," s/he must operate by universally applicable -- and therefore even-handed -- public rules. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Quaker Official Refuses To Issue Gun License
http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2015/09/quaker-official-refuses-to-issue-gun.html

Gospel Of Mark: Why Doesn't Kim Davis Deny Marriage Licenses To The Previously Divorced?

"Has America Lost Its Mind?" 1A's Brilliant Interview With "Fantasyland's" Kurt Andersen
http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2017/09/has-america-lost-its-mind-1as-brilliant.html

Televangelist Jim Bakker Resurrected: If This Doesn't Scare The Bejesus Out Of You, Repent For Your End Is Near!
http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2017/09/televangelist-jim-bakker-resurrected-if.html

Compendium Of Best Pax Posts On Organized Religion And The Everyday Validation Of Violence

The Christian Doctrine Of Damnation... And The Destruction Of Christ-Spirit

"My Gripe With Christianity"

No comments:

Post a Comment