Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Behavior, Reasonability And Obedience

Romans 7:15
St. Paul

Almost always, reasonable behaviors have favorable outcomes, and very often unreasonable behaviors don't.

However, reasonability is not enough.

The Big Question is this: "Are we capable of obeying ourselves?"

Many of our most frequently repeated principles serve the purpose of "pep talks" whose intention is to persuade us to do what we know we "should" do but in fact don't.


Romans 7:15-20

The Message 

14-16 I can anticipate the response that is coming: “I know that all God’s commands are spiritual, but I’m not. Isn’t this also your experience?” Yes. I’m full of myself—after all, I’ve spent a long time in sin’s prison. What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can’t be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God’s command is necessary.

17-20 But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’treally do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.




No comments:

Post a Comment