Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Nobel Laureate, Seamus Heaney, On What It Means To Be Catholic

Seamus Heaney
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamus_Heaney 

"I could talk until the cows come home about the minority status of Catholics in the North of Ireland. But that ground has been gone over a lot. I would say that the more important Catholic thing is the actual sense of eternal values and infamous vices which our education or formation gives us. There's a sense of profoundness, a sense that the universe can be ashimmer with something, and Catholicism - even if I don't like sentimentalizing it - was the backdrop to that whole thing. The world I grew up in offered me a sense that I was a citizen of the empyrean - the crystalline elsewhere of the world."  Seamus Heaney, Nobel Laureate       


No comments:

Post a Comment