Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith: Eye-Popping Quotations



Joseph Smith
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith#Death


Joseph Smith had his first vision at age 14. Allegedly, celestial persons appeared to him: "My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right — and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong, and the personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight: that those professors were all corrupt . . ." (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 1, p. 5-6).

***

Joseph Smith said there are many gods. 

"In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and the people in it…" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 5).

***

Joseph Smith said the Trinity is comprised of three separate gods. 

"I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods," (Teachings of Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 370).

***

Joseph Smith said God was once a man. 

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens... I say, if you were to see him to-day, you would see him like a man in form -- like yourselves, in all the person, image, and very form as a man.... it is necessary that we should understand the character and being of God, and how he came to be so; for I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity,  I will refute that idea, and will take away and do away the veil, so that you may see.... and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did." (Journal of Discourses, v 6 p.3).

***

Joseph Smith made several false prophecies. Here's one. 

". . . I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left . . . " (History of the Church, vol. 5, p. 394). Click here to see this quote in context.

***

“Come on! ye persecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet... When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go.”
Click here to see this quote in context.

***

"If you tell them that God made the world out of something, they will call you a fool. But I am learned, and know more than all the world put together" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.350-352)

***

“If I had forty wives in the United States, they did not know it, and could not substantiate it, neither did I ask any lawyer, judge, or magistrate for them. I live above the law, and so do this people.”
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 1, p. 361

***

"In your hands or that of any other person, so much power would, no doubt, be dangerous. I am the only man in the world whom it would be safe to trust with it. Remember, I am a prophet!"
***
"Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none."

***

"...if any man preach any other Gospel than that which I have preached, he shall be cursed"
- Joseph Smith, Jr., The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 366, also in History of the Church, v. 6, p.365

***


Mormon Temple Oath until the 1930's
You and each of you do solemnly promise and vow that you will pray and never cease to importune high heaven to avenge the blood of the prophets (Joseph and Hyrum Smith) on this nation, and that you will teach this to your children and your children's children unto the third and fourth generation.

See "Oath of Vengeance" 

***

“Come on! ye persecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet... When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go.”
Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 6, pp. 408-409



"...if any man preach any other Gospel than that which I have preached, he shall be cursed"
Joseph Smith, Jr., The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 366, also in History of the Church, v. 6, p.365


"If you tell them that God made the world out of something, they will call you a fool. But I am learned, and know more than all the world put together"
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.350-352) 


"God made Aaron to be the mouthpiece for the children of Israel, and He will make me be god to you in His stead...and if you don't like it, you must lump it!"

"I will prove that the world is wrong, by showing what God is...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see"


[Joseph Smith] "I combat the error of ages; I meet the violence of mobs; ...I cut the Gordian knot of powers, and I solve mathematical problems of universities, with truthódiamond truth; and God is my "right hand man."  HC, vol.6, p.78


“If I had forty wives in the United States, they did not know it, and could not substantiate it, neither did I ask any lawyer, judge, or magistrate for them. I live above the law, and so do this people.”
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 1, p. 361



"The heads (Plural) of the Gods appointed one God for us; and when you take that view of the subject, it sets one free to see all the beauty, holiness and perfection of the Gods." (DHC 6:476)


 I want to ask this congregation, every man, woman and child, to answer the question in their own heart, what kind of a being God is? . . . Does any man or woman know? Have any of you seen him, heard him, or communed with him? . . . God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make Himself visible,—I say, if you were to see Him today, you would see Him like a man in form—like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked and conversed with Him, as one man talks and communes with another. . . . It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another, and that He was once a man like us; yea, that God Himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did; and I will show it from the Bible.
B.H. Roberts, History of the Church, 6:303-304


 [T]he doctrine of a plurality of Gods is as prominent in the Bible as any other doctrine. . . . I will show from the Hebrew Bible that I am correct, and the first word shows a plurality of Gods; and I want the apostates and learned men to come here and prove to the contrary, if they can. An unlearned boy must give you a little Hebrew. Berosheit baurau Eloheim ait aushamayeen vehau auraits, rendered by King James' translators, 'In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.' I want to analyze the word BerosheitRosh, the head; Sheit, a grammatical termination; the Baith was not originally put there when the inspired man wrote it, but it has been since added by an old Jew. Baurau signifies to bring forth; Eloheim is from the word Eloi, God, in the singular number; and by adding the word heim, it renders it Gods. It read first, 'In the beginning the head of the Gods brought forth the Gods,' or, as others have translated it, 'The head of the Gods called the Gods together.' I want to show a little learning as well as other fools. . . . The head God organized the heavens and the earth. I defy all the world to refute me. In the beginning the heads of the Gods organized the heavens and the earth. Now the learned priests and the people rage, and the heathen imagine a vain thing. If we pursue the Hebrew text further, it reads, 'The head one of the Gods said, Let us make a man in our own image.' I once asked a learned Jew, 'If the Hebrew language compels us to render all words ending in heim in the plural, why not render the first Eloheim plural?' He replied, 'That is the rule with few exceptions; but in this case it would ruin the Bible.' He acknowledged I was right. . . . In the very beginning the Bible shows there is a plurality of Gods beyond the power of refutation. It is a great subject I am dwelling on. The word Eloheim ought to be in the plural all the way through—'Gods'. The heads of the Gods appointed one God for us; and when you take [that] view of the subject, its sets one free to see all the beauty, holiness and perfection of the Gods. All I want is to get the simple, naked truth, and the whole truth.
History of the Church 6:474-476


Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow—three in one, and one in three! I


All spirit is matter, but is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes. We cannot see it, but when our bodies are purified, we shall see that it is all matter.
Doctrine and Covenants 131:7-8 (May 17, 1843)


A woman who met Joseph Smith (a contemporary), noted his arrogance:
“He [Joseph Smith, Jr.} talked incessantly about himself, what he had done and could do more than other mortals, and remarked that he was a ‘giant, physically and mentally.’ In fact, he seemed to forget that he was a man. I did not change my opinion about him, but suppose he has some good traits.”
Charlotte Haven, “A Girl’s Letters From Nauvoo,” Overland Monthly (San Francisco), v. 16 (Dec. 1890), pp. 616-638



Mormon Temple Oath until the 1930's:
You and each of you do solemnly promise and vow that you will pray and never cease to importune high heaven to AVENGE THE BLOOD OF THE PROPHETS (Joseph and Hyrum Smith) ON THIS NATION, and that you will teach this to your children and your children's children unto the third and fourth generation.



“The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead.”

“I am a lover of the cause of Christ and of virtue, chastity, and an upright, steady course of conduct."

"What many people call sin is not sin."

"In your hands or that of any other person,so much power would, no doubt, be dangerous. I am the only man in the world whom it would be safe to trust with it. Remember, I am a prophet!"

"Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We have none."

"If I revealed all that has been made known to me, scarcely a man on this stand would stay with me... Brethren, if I were to tell you all I know of the kingdom of God, I do know that you would rise up and kill me."


Joseph Smith died in two-way gun battle. http://www.bible.ca/mor-smith-2-way-gun-battle.htm                                                                                                                                                     

Read fuller account of Smith's death – at the hands of his own followers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith#Death

***


In the following video clip, Mormon founder Joseph Smith's predatory sex life is detailed by Mormon historian Sandra Tanner.

Ms. Tanner is great, great granddaughter of Brigham Young.

(Sandra Tanner's Wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerald_and_Sandra_Tanner)

***

The following sources clarify Mr. Romney's reluctance to discuss The Church of Latter Day Saints.

1.) A girl who resisted Joseph Smith's sexual advances was subsequently defamed by Smith as a prostitute: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,203538

2.) Wikipedia account of Joseph Smith's first wife Emma: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Smith

3.) The individual stories of Joseph Smith's 34 wives: http://blog.mrm.org/2008/06/the-stories-of-the-wives-of-joseph-smith/ 

4.) Joseph Smith: Trading Salvation For Sex: http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon432.htm

5.) Sidney Rigdon: A Portrait of Religious Excess: http://www.amazon.com/Sidney-Rigdon-Portrait-Religious-Excess/dp/1560850302






No comments:

Post a Comment