Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Frog Hospital's Fred Owens And Pax On Both Houses Reminisce About The Univesity Of Toronto

Image result for st michael's college u of t

We ate dinner in the nuns' dining room. Nine sisters and us. Very pleasant, excellent food, most unusual.
otherwise it was hot and humid all day, so we walked very slowly around the campus looking at flowers.
at the breakfast this morning it was only slightly awkward to meet again with friends after so many years. It was easy to recognize people and we had excellent name tags.
the Basilian fathers who run this college have always been uninterested in fund raising, consequently their income has been quite modest. It was never about the money.
the nuns that we dined with are across the street and run their own show.
Alan: I remember Loretto because it was gringos' weekly gathering place to watch the latest installment of Batman.

Also because sweetheart Jenny Baboolal resided there - and Louise Gaffney whom I didn't know but had "a certain something."

In addition to St. Mike's, the Catholic (Basilian) college at UT, I attended a Basilian High School - Aquinas Institute in Rochester, New York.

The Basilians - whom I routinely introduce as "there were never bizillion Basilians - "have always been uninterested in fund raising."

Now there's some balls.

Last time Christians had a pair they welcomed martyrdom.

I remember many Basilian priests - among them, wide-eyed Fr. Cylwicki who taught at AQ and later UT; and a St. Mike's Basilian who never taught me but whom I admired for publishing an anthology of poems titled "The Absolute Elsewhere."

May every child have opportunity to be formed by people more interested in "the absolute elsewhere" than pussy grabbing and money-grubbing.

And may no child be cursed by the dark-side shadow of utilitarian-vulgarians like Donald Trump and his beyond-bizarre mission statement: "I’m very greedy. I’m a greedy person... I’ve always been greedy. I love money, right?"

St. Paul noted "The love of money is the root of all evil."

And Chesterton observed: "To get all that money you must be dull enough to want it."

I just got back from a rock-n-roll gig in downtown Greensboro.


We had a great time!

Here's a link to the recordings. http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2018/06/tracks-from-my-bands-concert-last-night.html

Bring on "the absolute elsewhere."

At any cost, shun the soul-sucking vapidity of Deplorable Donald.


No comments:

Post a Comment