Pages

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Racism, Misanthropy And My Personal Dislike Of Primates And Monkeys


Dear Ed,

Thanks for your email.

I do not have a "separatist violence breakdown" by each European country.

However, I do have this old writing about white and black incarceration that goes to the heart of another question you pose.

Compendium Of Best Pax Posts On Miscarriage Of Justice And Misplaced Punishment

Blacks Arrested For Contraband Twice As Often Though Much Less Likely To Have Contraband

Alan: Blacks are arrested - and prosecuted - at least twice as often as whites for the "contraband" crimes that most often put Americans behind bars. 


If white people were incarcerated as often as blacks for the crimes both commit with the same regularity, and if blacks were incarcerated for the crimes they commit as often as whites are for those same crimes, the "black prison time" figure of 32% (in the graphic above) would be cut in half and the "white prison time" figure of 6% would double. (Mind you, I am not much of a mathematician so maybe my calculations are off. In any event, there is a HUGE adjustment that needs to be made even though I do not dispute your observation about the "social pathogenecity" of the "unfathered black family," partially mitigated by the existence of the "three generation family" in Afro-American society and the strong role played by Gramma.)

The incarceration situation is further complicated because it is much harder for "released blacks" to find work than it is for released whites, making persistent black unemployment a source of recidivism.

Are there any circumstances under which you would hire Jamal ahead of James (if both had criminal records)?

The Future Of Race In America: TED Talk By Michelle Alexander, Author Of "The New Jim Crow"

I agree that - to one extent or another - we are all racist.


In the last few years I've had opportunity to realize that, although I harbor certain racist attitudes relating to "under-belly" black people, I have also been increasingly aware that for decades I have felt more comfortable (generally) among black people than whites whose stupidity (much of it born, I think, from white privilege coupled with consumerist isolation-detachment-stupefaction) I find repulsive.

Within the last year alone, I have expanded my longstanding realization that, within the animal kingdom, I do not like primates very much and that this "generic" dislike for "monkey business" extends to humans.

I am not so "far gone" as to be a diagnosable misanthrope. And being endowed with homo sapiens' intellegence-and-self-awareness, there is no alternative but to enjoy the company of other humans with whom to discuss "the problem" and "pain" of existence, just as "animal spirits" draw me to curvaceous females without any overarching "rhyme or reason."

Left to my own devices -- and I am not proud of this in any way -- I prefer my own company to the company of most other people.

In the last few years, my "misanthropic" inclinations have been tempered by group music-making, an activity that has catapulted me into a new domain of "everyday" magic-and-mysticism that has resulted in profound satisfaction, simultaneously being an activity that necessarily involves others.

I am also newly-aware that I have probably spent my life somewhere on the "autistic spectrum" and that my apparent extroversion and "savoir faire" are clever cover-ups for my underlying social deficiencies. 

No matter how my psychological pathology might sort if clinically diagnosed, I think it is rooted in the same genetic "quirk" that besets my cousin X of whom I am tremendously fond, probably because we are kindred spirits at this deep genetic level.

Well...

That was unexpectedly revelatory! 

... for myself as well as you I imagine...

Paz contigo

Alan

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM, EM wrote:

Hola Compa,
Do you have a breakdown (by country?) of the "separatist" component of  E.U. terrorist attacks? 

I'm definitely making progress the past couple of years, RE: recognizing "White priviledge", "implicit bias", etc. 
I don't contest your diatribe RE : "By my lights, the western world's most destructive terror issue is America's systematic oppression -- and extrajudicial slaughter (coupled with new-and-improved-enslavement) -- of black people, ..."

Still ... it seems logical that there will be a greater % of Blacks w/ a run-in with the "law" when 75% (!) of Blacks are born into a single parent "family". (I.e. there's less discipline--consistent enforcement of social parameters--of a child with a single parent who is exhausted from a full day of work).
Hence, more run-ins with police enforcing social parameters once outside the home.
It seems to me this is not exclusively a racial bias issue.  (... and, I'm increasingly convinced that EVERYONE is racist).
Comment?  Abrazo,  Ed

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Alan Archibald
Dear F,


Spain has a long history of rebellious, explosive, separatist activity.

In light of this persistent history, it would not be surprising if today's Barcelona "incident" proves to be a terror attack.

But even if it is, I would not be overly concerned.

By my lights, the western world's most destructive terror issue is America's systematic oppression -- and extrajudicial slaughter (coupled with new-and-improved-enslavement) -- of black people, two intertwined scourges that have been the warp-and-weft of American society, but are now -- finally! -- seen for what they are. 

Nor should we lose sight of our treatment of other dark-skinned people: Native Americans, latinos, muslims.

Several years ago, Maria brought Michelle Alexander to my attention. 

I encourage you to check her out.

The Future Of Race In America: TED Talk By Michelle Alexander, Author Of "The New Jim Crow"


Love

A

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM, FV wrote:

Dear A

Van plows into crowd in Barcelona. Haven't called it terrorist yet. Lord I hope not. I thought Spain was a safe haven.

Love




No comments:

Post a Comment