Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Confessions Of A Bible Thumper

Confessions of a Bible Thumper - Milestones and Musings

Alan: My sister gave me a tee-shirt whose front side says: Ten Good Reasons To Be Episcopalian. The decalogue on the back includes: "Don't have to check brain at the door." Confessions of a Bible Thumper participates in this same tradition of thoughtful Christianity. (See Jacques Ellul below.)

Author Michael Camp | February 2014 | Facebook | Blog | Twitter | Website | On Amazon
Where have I been in 2013? you ask. Enjoying my wife Lori, our 28 years of marriage, our new granddaughter, our progressive Christian community, and joining the best Religion-Free, service organization on earth, The Rotary Club. Here's the newest from my world of writing and pub-theologizing. Cheers!
Recent and New Events

Faith, Science, and Our Creator - I'm a guest on Darkwood Brew'sGreat Convergence! Join us next Sunday, February 9, 3 PM Pacific, 6 PMEastern. Eric Elnes, Chris Alexander, and I will be discussing how faith and science (particularly new findings in cosmology, microbiology, and the nature of consciousness) strengthen each other, how fundamentalism pervades extreme biblicism and materialism, and why intellectual honesty in science and biblical studies is critical to inform our faith. Includes reflections on the chapter, Intelligent Debate and ideas about "intelligent evolution."

Discussing the Myth of Hell - Dr. Michael Jones has this great show that brings theists and atheists together, called The Place. I was on the show with him and Dr. Lawrence Krauss (seperate interviews), discussing some of my findings about the biblical concept of hell and how it has been distorted to convey something the original authors did not mean. From chapter: Universal Life.
9 Theological Ideas You Should Question and Why
Slowly, at a snails pace, I'm developing a series of videos on ideas in the book. Check out the latest in 9 Theological Ideas You Should Question!

NEXT BOOK: The Brewpub Path: Faith, Beer, and the Religion-Free Path of Christ
In light of the "new" architecture of Christian spirituality being recovered today, who is the real Jesus and how might we live following his Path? My next book shows how early Christian and first-centuries history should inform our faith, our view of the Bible, Christian community, and the future. Seeks to answer: how do we use Jesus' Love ethic to create a more just, inclusive, non-retributive world. If I only had an extra day in my week, I just might finish it this year! Wish me luck.

Books You Should Read This Year!
Here's a few books I think are worthy of a good read:

The Future of Faith, by Harvey Cox


Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail,
by Cheryl Strayed


The Goldilocks Enigma: Why is the Universe Just Right for Life?,
by Paul Davies


And finally, a classic must-read, if haven't already: 
The Subversion of Christianity, by Jacques Ellul


Ellul's Wikipedia Page: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Ellul

Ellul's Wikiquotes: 
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jacques_Ellul


No comments:

Post a Comment