Pages

Friday, September 4, 2015

The Cheerful Upside Of Absolutism... And Its Deadly Downside Under Stress


Dear Ed,

Thanks for your email.

It is a persistent irony that simple, uncomplicated people who subscribe to absolutist belief systems are often extremely sweet.

Absolutism so simplifies Life that implicit faith in an orderly, meaningful universe whose providential over-Lord guides believers to happy ends (even when those ends are painfully "mysterious") simultaneously disables them from understanding "random chance" and the role chance plays in the underpinnings of Rationality and Science.

"No, It's Not Your Opinion. You're Just Wrong"

Taken together, Rationality and Science provide the only Matrix of Meaning that avoids The Swamp of Superstition and the apotheosis of personal opinion as ultimate arbiter of Truth. (I will mention in passing that there is a world of difference between the non-rational and the irrational.)

Becky Fischer
Fundamentalist Children's Preacher
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Fischer

There is much to be said for the simple joys of absolutism.

Nothing but blue sky. (Until it turns red.)

However, when these same sweet people -- think Hutu and Tutsi (90% of whom were "good Catholics") -- perceive themselves threatened by another value system (as any massive wave of Islamic immigrants to Europe will almost certainly construe threat) then simplification's shadow manifests with vengeance.

I do not know how many Islamics advocate Sharia Law but I am profoundly suspicious of any value system that does not prioritize the primary importance of scientific finding, at least as our "point of departure" in human affairs.

Aquinas supplied penetrating insight to the proper, primary role of Reason. 

But there are few devout Christians - and few devout Islamics - who undertake this prioritization.

St. Thomas Aquinas, Natural Law, and the Common Good /// Aquinas Quotations

http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2013/01/st-thomas-aquinas-natural-law-and.html


Absent this a priori trust in The Rule of Reason, religion can -- and does -- devolve to the ugliest set of diabolical justifications the human mind can conjure.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Devout Christian, Blaise Pascal

"You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image 
when it turns out God hates all the same people you do."
Fr. Tom Weston S. J.

Dorothy Day: “I really only love God as much as I love the person I love the least.”

http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2013/02/dorothy-day-i-really-only-love-god-as.html

Remember.

The "religious" don't just "do evil." 

They do it cheerfully.

And completely.

Pax tecum,

Alan

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 6:14 PM, RM wrote:
Alan,  RE:  Fred's commentary below your missive ...
While I TOTALLY agree with "organized massive relief to Jordan and Turkey" who are taking ENORMOUS numbers of Syrian refugees, as a best option, I must say that in ALL my travels I have I not met/seen a warmer, kinder, gentler people (!) as those who welcomed (an unknown) me in Hama, Palmyra, Aleppo, Damascus ...(1995) 
Cheers,   E
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 3, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Alan Archibald <alanarchibaldo@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Fred,

Thanks for your email.

The Islamic migration to Europe is ominous.

Jordan has already pushed its limits.

It seems Turkey and Saudi Arabia might do more.

I just had lunch with shrewd Air Force general friend, AWC. 

Looking out from this moment, he thinks Ben Carson will win the GOP nomination. 

Part of his rationale is that Carson is already running strong, gathering momentum and is the only GOP presidential candidate who will take at least some votes from Hillary. 

Interesting view.

Pax tecum

Alan

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Fred Owens <froghospital911@gmail.com> wrote:

Received $75 in subscription revenue so far this week.
My enthusiasm is renewed. Spread the joy.
I feel comforted by my endorsement of HC. It gives me a centrally located perch for watching the show, watching Trump smack the Mexicans without myself facing accusation of being an angry white man, and watching Bernie thunder against Wall Street.
Also watching the Syrian invasion of Europe. These are not nice people. They hate Europe. They hate the independence of women and the public consumption of alcohol. They appear grateful and humble now, but by next year they will be screaming for sharia. I would not let them in my country if I could help it. Instead, I would organized massive relief in Jordan and in 
Turkey where the Syrians can reside with their fellow Muslims.


--
Fred Owens
cell: 360-739-0214

My gardening blog is  Fred Owens
My writing blog is Frog Hospital





No comments:

Post a Comment