Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

What Terminology Should We Use With Politicians Who Are, In Fact, Crazy?


NPR Weekend Edition, October 12, 2013: "Will the bottom fall out of the economy on Oct. 17 if Congress refuses to raise the debt ceiling? New York Times columnist Joe Nocera talks to Weekend Edition Sunday host Scott Simon about what the extended government shutdown and the debt limit could mean for our economy."

Audio File at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=232621999

***
Excerpt from Nocera's Wikipedia page: 

Criticism[edit]

In an August 2011 column on the US debt ceiling crisis, Nocera compared "Tea Party Republicans" with terrorists, and wrote that they "have waged jihad on the American people" and suggested that they "can put aside their suicide vests".[4] This rhetoric was criticized by a number of media outlets.[who?][5][6][7][8] In a follow-up column, Nocera writes "[what] most surprised me is how darned liberal I sound sometimes." He then apologized:
The words I chose were intemperate and offensive to many, and I've been roundly criticized. I was a hypocrite, the critics said, for using such language when on other occasions I've called for a more civil politics. In the cool light of day, I agree with them. I apologize.
After comparing Congressional negotiations with "hand-to-hand combat", Nocera concluded the column with "I won't be calling anybody names. That I can promise."[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Nocera

***





No comments:

Post a Comment