Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Creedence Clearwater Revival and Tina Turner


Dear Maria,

When I was young, it was hard to locate pop song lyrics. The Internet didn't exist yet and music stores stocked but limited supplies of sheet music.

As a result, we ended up re-formulating "unclear lyrics" to our own satisfaction. 

Most often, we felt confident we'd finally understood what our "minstrels-of-choice" were singing 

One of the songs I most enjoyed singing (while accompanying myself on guitar) was "Who'll Stop The Rain" by Creedence Clearwater Revival - a band with a simple groove, and great "hooks." 

Just now, delving into CCR's Wikipedia page, I'm stunned to learn the group is from El Cerrito, California, where they attended Mommy's High School.  


Excerpt: "Creedence Clearwater Revival's music is still a staple of American and worldwide radio airplay[1] and often figures in various media. The band has sold 26 million albums in the United States alone.[2] Creedence Clearwater Revival was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.[3] They were ranked at 82 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.[4]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival  


Here is the original studio version of "Who'll Stop The Rain."  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA  

As I just learned (while listening to "Rain" and reading the lyrics) that I have always  confused the phrase "fallin' on my ears" with "violence on my heels." 


I also mistook “pouring” for “forming”… 


Personally, I like my alterations better than Fogerty's original lyrics and will persevere in my heresy.


And here is an instructional video with simple suggestions for "taking it up a notch" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0jtsg0Ztw

***

My University of Toronto sweetheart, Jenny Baboolal -- from Tunapuna, Trinidad -- used to say CCR 'had a simple groove… but deep mahn.' (In the Fall of 1969 Jenny also wore a button that said: "Everyone is a genius at something." Nice...)


Creedence Clearwater Revival 

"Who'll Stop The Rain?"

Songwriter: JOHN C. FOGERTY  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_fogerty

Long as I remember the rain been comin' down
Clouds of mystery pourin' confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages tryin' to find the sun.
And I wonder still I wonder who'll stop the rain.

I went down Virginia seekin' shelter from the storm
Caught up in the fable I watched the tower grow
Five year plans and new deals wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder still I wonder who'll stop the rain.

Heard the singers playin', how we cheered for more.
The crowd had rushed together tryin' to keep warm.
Still the rain kept pourin', fallin' on my ears
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain.


***

Next time you’re home, let’s sing it together. And if it cooks, let's record it!

“Rain” fits my voice perfectly. (I think I still give Fogerty a “run for his money.”)
***
Elsewhere...

Fogerty's composition, "Proud Mary," was Tina Turner's signature song. 


In the early 1970s, Aunt Frances and I heard Tina give an astonishing performance of "Proud Mary" on the outskirts of Buffalo, New York. 


Here is a version from that same time period.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0 


And in the following clip, Tina belts it out in 2008 - at age 69. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6-7N9AxTE


Go girl!






No comments:

Post a Comment