Pages

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Is The Protozoal Disease Giardiasis The Chief "Penalty" For Drinking Unfiltered Stream Water?

Image result for fish in stream

Caribou,


I know you drank a lot of straight-up stream water on your hike north from Georgia last month.

Did you suffer any ill effect?

Thinking back on my high sierra hikes in Latin America (1967-1973) I remember "living with" what we assumed was giardia lambliahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia_lamblia 

I did get deathly sick with dysenteria in the high sierra of Mexico's Hidalgo state (1967) but I was living with a native American family in a dirt-floor, thatched-roof choza situated in the middle of a cow corral, one extended family's compound in a spread-out hamlet. I do not remember drinking any water in Barranca Arriba, just pulque and aguamiel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulque 

Who knows what made me sick?

But back to giardia lamblia...

As obnoxious as foul-tasting giardiasis belches are, there was no associated "disability," assuming we were, in fact, afflicted with that protozoal disease.

How about you Maria? Have you experimented with drinking unfiltered clear stream water?

Inline image 1

Actually, Backpackers, You Don’t Need to Filter Your Stream Water

Yuvoo

Daddy man

Related image




No comments:

Post a Comment