Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

Minnesota Governor Says Philando Castile Would Not Have Been Killed Were He White

Alan: I'm creating this post halfway into "The Truman Show," a movie I started years ago but stopped watching when I experienced my first ever panic attack. 
If I Were A Young Black Man, I Can Easily Imagine Myself Resorting To Race-Based Violence.
Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, told The Washington Post on Friday. “But there’s got to be a fear, a concern, that because of the job, because of the uniform I wear, I’m being targeted.”
Johnson also said that police, who have been caught in the outcry surrounding two fatal shootings of black men less than 48 hours apart, “feel unfairly painted with a broad brush."
Johnson’s remarks came a day after Gov. Mark Dayton (D) made a forceful declaration in questioning whether Castile would have been shot had he been white.
“Would this have happened if those passengers, the driver and the passengers, were white?” Dayton said. “I don’t think it would have. … I think all of us in Minnesota are forced to confront that this kind of racism exists.”
Johnson said the governor “exploited what was already a horrible and tragic situation.”
“Whether race had something to do with it or not, I don’t know, because I can’t get into the officer’s head,” Johnson told The Post. “And neither can the governor.”


No comments:

Post a Comment