Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2019

"Superhouse," University Of Toronto, 1967-1969

super house.jpg
Superhouse "1" was located on Wilcox Street - the first residential block bordering the west side of UT's campus.

By virtue of "signing the lease," Superhouse was "officially" founded by Irish-born Sean, an inspired human being, musician, scholar, activist, engineer, and early "south-of-the-border" traveling companion. https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRIC-RIVERS-Sean-McCutcheon/dp/1895431190

I remember Sean talking about his boyhood experience, sitting in front of the family cottage, his Mom, Dad and sibs grooming one another.

The original residents/"communards" of Superhouse were Sean, Rick, Michael, Kempton, Mary, Kathy (a 3rd or 4th year medical student) Ed (just back from a two year Peace Corps stint in Fosca, Colombia), myself and a reclusive "outside" "spectrum dweller" --- whose name I've forgotten... Ray? ... who shared the garret with me. I recall that Rick's brother was often "around" but I cannot remember if he lived at Superhouse. (If I've left anyone out please let me/us know.) 

I did not live at Superhouse 2 until Jenny and I moved onto Roberts Street the summer after my calendar year in Colombia where I resided in Cali but spend chunks of time in Santa Marta, Popoyan, Pasto and the the Kogi homeland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogi_people.

Many of the people in Fred's Super House 2 photo -- among them Cindy, Cheryl, Paul, George, D'Arcy and Allanah -- were "inhabiting spirits" of Superhouse 1. 

Reflecting on Fred's photo reminds me that "Superhouse photographer" Ed took a brilliant photo of Cindy "beaming" outside Super House. I'm sure that pic is stored with my cachivaches and will scout it out when I return from Oaxaca on April 3rd.

It is (or was) commonplace to say that Christianity -- particularly Catholic Christianity -- revolves aound "the sacrament of the table." 

And in keeping with Christianity's chatty Jewish root, I have come to think of The Roman Church as a "space" uniquely devoted to festive, "wine-fueled" table talk where the pursuit of meaning is -- ultimately -- central. (I have long been struck that Christianity's sacramental substance is a toxin.)

And so we continue the 2000 year-long conversation -- 4000 years if you count our Jewish forebears.

Although everyone has "their" own take on everything, Super House (as Fred indicated) was an experiment in gathering "the human zoo" for food, drink and boisterously good conversation. 

Once a day.

Every day. 

Holy Comunion.

In order to give non-initiates a better idea of Superhouse 1, I should note that preparation of Superhouse meals rotated among residents so that each "communard" did kitchen "duty" about once a week. 


This distribution of labor was so un-onerous that I never considered it a chore. 


Rather, I felt buoyant making - and serving - "my" weekly meal (complete with "Super Salad") for the delectation of our beloved community.


It was a simple "plan."

And it worked -- not just practically, but joyfully.

Ah, those kids!






No comments:

Post a Comment