Pages

Friday, October 19, 2018

Retired Doc Friend Describes Evangelical Mom Demanding Abortion For 15 Year Old Daughter

A human zygote in the 8 cell stage.

Human zygote.
Human person?
Room for debate?

The GOP Needs Roe V. Wade: It's The Glue That Keeps The Republican Party Together


Alan: In the following exchange with physician friend EM concerning an Evangelical mom seeking an abortion for her 15 year old daughter, the pertinent parts are highlighted in purple.

EM

to me

Sun, Sep 30, 10:08 PM

Hola Compa,  


Mostly too heavy for me, but precisely appropriate for YOUR review 🤫

In your paragraph, “Rather, I think we are all morally conditioned (some more consicously than others) and as a result we human beings are fundamentally prone to defend our moral beliefs, and whether we admit it or not, a cornerstone dimension of this (existential self) defense is political.”—

I think there might need to be a discussion between “our moral beliefs” and an alternative ‘our portrayed moral persona’. — this could get heavy, but to the point: a right-wing conservative evangelical mom brings in her 15 year old pregnant daughter, demanding an abortion independent of whatever the kid might think, but would never admit to such demands within her church group. 

However, I quite agree with:  “Rather, I think the people with "the weakest stance on the policy" may well be those who are intellectually laziest and 1.) cannot be bothered, or 2.) find it convenient to resort to accusations of "partisan politics" in order to avoid the work required by any exploratory (or even curious) engagement of the issue. (N.B. One of Trump's most salient psychological features is his lack of curiosity about "things." Instead, he - and his similarly incurious followers - rely on sound bites they picked up on the middle school playgrounds... "and that's all there is to it!" Or, in "conservative" "Christian" terms: "God said it. I believe it. That settles it.")”

AND, worthy of spreading around:   “I will also mention, in passing, that "the budget" is our most moral document: it prioritizes - "down to the penny" - how we will actually "put out money where our mouth is."
Right on, Dude!      Cheers ðŸ¤‘  E

Sent from my iPhone

Alan Archibald alanarchibaldo@gmail.com

Sun, Sep 30, 10:58 PM
Dear E,

Thanks for your email.
Are you at liberty to say whether the evangelical Mom who wanted an abortion for her 15 year old was a patient of yours?
I love your observation: "I think there might need to be a discussion between “our moral beliefs” and ‘our portrayed moral persona’".

EM

Mon, Oct 1, 4:58 PM
to me
Are you at liberty to say whether the evangelical Mom who wanted an abortion for her 15 year old was a patient of yours?”  Yup.  Mom was supremely pissed off at me for asking if I could have her (mom) step out for a few minutes so I could talk to the kid.
Mom decided to take kid to another provider. 

Sent from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment