Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

Tinnitus TED Talk (And The Therapeutic Possibilities Of Biofeedback And Hypnosis)

Image result for tinnitus
Dear D,

I hope you're well.

I miss you.

We all miss you.

Here's a TED Talk about tinnitus that contains useful information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGq3MXQlRJs

I will again mention that when I am thinking about my tinnitus, talking about my tinnitus, or writing about my tinnitus, I immediately hear "the high-pitched ringing in my head."

But... 

If I do not consciously "think about tinnitus," I go whole days completely unaware that the ringing is "there" and am typically aware of my tinnitus no more than 1% to 3% of my waking time.

It is a matter-of-fact that for me -- and I think for most people -- the ringing recedes into complete unconsciousness.

The "good news" is that the human brain/mind has a way of ignoring "the ringing" so that there is no conscious recognition that it is taking place.

Yet, the "buzz" is always "there."

Duke's psychology department used to do biofeedback training. 

I wonder if biofeedback could be a way to "move" your "ringing" into "the unconscious background." 

Biofeedback worked a similar "miracle" for nationally-renowned novelist and Duke professor, Reynolds Price. 

Here is an introduction to Price's "learned ability" to control unnrelenting, searingly-unbearable physical pain completely through biofeedback. https://www.storiedmind.com/recovery-stories/reynolds-price-out-thinking-pain/ (The whole story of Price's pain-control experience is contained in his memoir, "A Whole New Life." https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743238540?ie=UTF8&tag=storiedmindco-20)

Please keep in mind that psychologist CH is a gifted hypnotist. 

If you would like, I can arrange a meeting. 

I also imagine C is able to make a good biofeedback referral.

Best wishes to L.

Pax

Alan



No comments:

Post a Comment